Mini Cinnamon Roll Apple Pies
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes 16 cups
Chef Tip: Tip: For a full pie, press 8 separate rolls into a single layer in a pie plate. Pour apple filling on top and bake in the oven at oven to 375°F for 30 minutes. Tip: Bake with a sheet of tin foil under the muffin cups to catch any drips. Don’t overfill the cup or you will have overflow.
Variety Tip: *For best results use a mix of local Honeycrisp, Gala or McIntosh apples
|1/2 cup||salted butter||(125 mL)|
|1/2 cup||white sugar||(125 mL)|
|1/2 cup||brown sugar, packed||(125 mL)|
|6||large apples peeled, cored and diced*|
|1/4 cup||water or apple cider||(60 mL)|
|1/4 cup||cornstarch||(60 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||cinnamon||(1 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||nutmeg||(2 mL)|
|2||13 oz cans refrigerated cinnamon rolls|
- Heat oven to 375°F (200°C)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in white sugar, brown sugar and apples. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together water or apple cider, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk into the apples and cook until thickened, around 2 minutes. Set aside and cool for 5 minutes.
- Grease 16 regular-size muffin cups. Separate dough into 16 rolls. Each roll should approximately be 4 cm thick, 6 cm across. Press into and up sides of the muffin cups. Spoon 2-3 tbsp of cooled filling into each dough-lined cup.
- Bake 16 minutes or until golden brown; cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Transfer icing that came with the rolls, or your own homemade icing** to a small microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on Low for 10 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle. Place cups on serving plate and spoon icing over rolls. Serve warm.